Thursday, April 23, 2009

Uncertain Steps


There is an image that I think of when life gets challenging. It's a memory from several years ago. At the time, I was running, A LOT. And there wasn't much that could prevent me from going on my Saturday morning run. One day, the sky was cloudy, it had been raining, but I thought the worse had past. It hadn't. While on the run, there were moments where as the rain beat down upon my cap, I couldn't see what was up ahead. All I could do was stay focused on where my foot was going next and, with faith, take that step. I know the final destination was my warm, dry apartment and I just had to keep going until I could get there.

It was a great lesson on several levels. First, check the forecast before you go for a run. (Something I still don't do.) Secondly, it is a touchstone moment that I look back on in my life. Just like that stormy jog, there are days and weeks where the rain seems to be pouring down. Where I am going to go and how life is going to turn out seems very uncertain. The streets are slippery and one false move could mean a lot of pain. However, in the midst of those tentative times, I know that all I need to do is watch where my foot will land next. I don't need to see the whole journey, I must faithfully follow the Way, until I reach my Heavenly home. My steps are uncertain, but my destination is not.

I Corinthians 9 compares our time here on Earth to a race. We are to train and prepare so that we might receive our Heavenly reward. In my mind's eye whenever I think of this passage I focus on the victorious athlete crossing the finish line. What I don't see is all the practice in the rain that got him there. May I take comfort in the times of uncertain steps, knowing that the prize for which I train will make every moment in the rain worth it.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Wesley said...

You make a really good point. So often we are worried about the future that we don't focus on what is right in front of us. God tells us to focus on today and not tomorrow. Maybe we should stop trying to take control of our lives and let God do the steering.

May 7, 2009 at 6:41 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

This message shows two really great points in my life. First: Just like you I have an image when the going get tough that pops into my head and lets me know that this is challenging, but I have had more challenging times, and I got through with that issue, so this issue can be handled in the same way.
Second: Focus on the now. We get too caught up in how the world wants everything to be done yesterday because today's things need to be done for next weeks plans (If that makes sense). People don't enjoy their day, they don't slow it down every now and then just to relax. Just like Wesley said, God tells us to focus on today and not tomorrow. He couldn't be more right.

May 11, 2009 at 8:22 AM  
Anonymous dominica said...

When situations like this happen when an unexpected storm comes it can test our strength to see if we have the faith to pull ourselves through. When things in life all seem to be running smoothly there is always an unexpected bump. This has happened so often that I have learned to expect the unexpected and be patient. As long as I know I can get my self though anything with faith and family by my side I will succed no matter how bad the storm my be.

May 11, 2009 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger N.A. Winter said...

Thank you all for your posts!

Jason - Living in the now is a hard lesson, but as I am fond of reminding myself "God doesn't promise us tomorrow"

Dominica- great lesson to expect the unexpected. :-)

May 12, 2009 at 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Better Things Ahead: Uncertain Steps

This page has moved to a new address.

Uncertain Steps