Thursday, March 1, 2007

Serious Freedom

I tend to be a pretty serious person. I don't say a whole lot (unless I'm tired) and I'm awfully introspective. Although I love to laugh, I tend to view life through some pretty straight-rim glasses. When I was younger, my parents were concerned that this was cause for some concern, but as I got older they realized this is just who I am.

What most people don't expect that although I take life pretty seriously, I will do almost anything for a reaction. Whether its sipping ketchup through a straw, eating a whole bowl of butter or nearly licking the bottom of my friend's foot, I think its fun to do what's unexpected. And outside of causing myself or others harm, I'm game for almost anything.

The reason for this seemingly incongruous disparity is that I take the freedom I have to be the person I want to be very seriously. Although I'll do things for a reaction, I won't do things thoughtlessly. I appreciate the fact that who I am to become is determined by my actions, and I try never to lose site of this.

I think its similar in our relationship with Christ. He has given us freedom, but some treat this freedom flippantly. The freedom we have in Christ is a serious matter because it determines the extent to which we will use by Him. When we take it seriously, we have the ability to love with abandon, pursue Him with passion, and to give generously. When we don't, we float on the wings of complacency.

Freedom allows us to be the person God wants us to be . .if we take it seriously.

Freedom is thrust upon us, and we must take it whether we
will or not. Happiest is he who takes it most completely and
most joyfully, but also most seriously and with the deepest
sense of its dangers.
... Phillips Brooks (1835-1893)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Better Things Ahead: Serious Freedom

This page has moved to a new address.

Serious Freedom